Project 2 Font Design.


Kim Chan Hee (0334532)
Typography
Project 2 Font Design.




Lecture notes.
Week 7.
17 May 2019.
We learned about Text/Tracking: Kerning and Letterspacing.
Kerning means the automatic adjustment of space between letters. It can be mistaken for letterspacing but, letterspacing is just adding a space between the letters. Where the addition and removal of space in a word or sentence is tracking.

Week8.
24 May 2019.
There was no lecture conducted, but we learned how to use FontLab.

Week 9.
31 May 2019.
Text/Indicating paragraphs.
There are several options for indicating paragraphs such as 'pilcrow'.A holdover from medieval manuscripts seldom uses today. If the line space is 12pt then the paragraph space is 12pt, which ensures cross-alignment across columns of text.

Text/Windows and Orphans.
In traditional typesetting, there are two unpardonable gaffes, widows and orphans.
A widow is a short line of the type left alone at the end of a column of text.
An orphan is a short line of the type left alone at the start of the new column.








Exercises.
Week 7.
For our project two, we had to create a font, based on the type family lecturers had given us where the font I got inspired and chose is ITC Garamond std.book. Where I first started by doing idea sketches for it.
figure 1.1 idea sketches for creating a new font.

figure 1.2 idea sketches for creating a new font.
I wanted to make the font look more round thicker, by making the edges more rounder with no sharp tips.

Week 8.
After approval of the idea sketches, I started to digitize the sketches using illustrator.

figure 1.3 Progress for digitizing the fonts that I created.

figure 1.4 my font 'a'

fig 1.5 my font 'b'

fig 1.6 my font  'm'

fig 1.7 my font 'x'

fig 1. 8 my font 'u'

fig 1.9 my font 'r'

fig 1.10 my font 'o'

fig 1.11 my font 'v'

fig 1.12 my font 'd' 
fig1.12 my font 'i'



fig 1.13 my font 'c'

fig 1.14 my font 'n'

fig 1.15 my font 'l'

fig 1.16 my font 's'


Week 9.
After the digitization had been done and getting confirmed we had to create the font using FontLab and started to create compositions for it and adjusted the kerning and make sure they don't overlap.
fig 1. 17 Process picture of all the fonts moved to FontLab 




Below are my final outcome as a pdf file.













Feedback.
Week 7.
Mr.Vinod told me that I should adjust the number one for project one. Also, for project two alphabet font designs, Mr.Shamsul told me that the font sketches I did, had a very little change since the original font is bold too and told me that I should give more change to it, like making it more rounded.
Week 8.
You type in black. Mr.Shamsul said my sketches were okay to be digitized but, just need to make it less thick and that the thickness should be consistent.
Week 9.
General feedback: Mr.Vinod told us not to do screen grab for our final outcome, but can do it only for our progress in our blog. Feedback for my project two Mr.Shamsul told me that my font looks interesting but, the resizing should be done samely like the other alphabets and that my 'l' and 'i' look very similar and need to make it look more different.








Reflection.
Experiences.
Week 7.
I was excited to make my own font and came to observe and learn more about the difference between the typefaces and took a closer look.

Week 8.
I struggle a bit when digitizing it as I wanted to make it look more consistent and there were many areas to adjust it.

Week 9.
Adjusting the space between the fonts were harder than I thought and was not easy.

Observations.
Week 7.
Every font was different and had their own style as every thickness were different.

Week 8.
Digitizing the font sketches took more time than expected and I knew that I was a bit slow in the process.

Week 9.
I had to struggle on trying to adjust the kerning of the fonts to create compositions.

Findings.
Week 7.
I should observe more on how different the typefaces are and how I can create based on their style and personality.

Week 8.
I should be faster for the process for project two and learn how to use FontLab version  6.

Week 9.
I should practice and study more on how to use FontLab and increase my skills and knowledge to it.




Further reading.

The origins of Type An Abridged History.

Our modern conception of type comes to us after 4000 years through western Europe and countries like Greece,Egypt and Italian peninsula.The Roman alphabet, codified during the second and first centuries B.C. Where the Romans simplified the structure of existing characters, retaining a a single thickness in the character strokes and they started to plan inscriptions by painting on the stones before carving. The square-cut reed pens and brushes used contrasting marks, resulting in thick and thin strokes. The quadrant proportioned "square capitals", of the first century A.D. mark the beginning of modern writing, no longer reserved for imperial documents alone.



















































Comments